Thursday, July 29, 2010

Top 10 Teaching Moments

After a year in the Beninese school system, the following is a list of my most memorable teaching moments.

1. The joy and relieve on their faces when I returned from being sick and when I told them I'd be their teacher again next year.
2. Everytime I had to pause for a mini-lecture on behavior, only to have my students look at me with such a charming innocence that all I could do was smile back at them.
3. My most challenging class having  62 of the 64 students pass English class.
4. Learning that the words "swimming pool" said quickly is the word for "f***ing" in local language.
5. Making my students sing and do the Hokey-Pokie for being late to class.
6. A first year English student unprompted pointing to a photo of Alicia Silverstone photo and saying, "She is my wife."
7. Students writing in English their future goals in English.
8. Teaching students "polite phrases" and having a student say: "Exx-squeeeze me."
9. Student accidently saying "It is a sh**" instead of "It is a shirt."
10. My students presenting and performing bands they created in class.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment