Saturday, August 1, 2009

Snapshots From My Journal

“There is a culmination of emotions stirring inside my soul, which at the moment I imagine to be this inner lining, like that of a swimming pool; lying underneath my skin, my veins, my muscles, and my bones.” – 7/23/09

“Driving through Cotonou the poverty is obvious, but the people seem content—I am not sure how sad I should be, because perhaps they don’t know what things could be like.” – 7/25/09

“We rode on motos for the first time. I was really nervous, but as soon as I got on though it was such a blast. I felt like such a goofball, because if one was to remove my helmet they would see that I was grinning from ear to ear. I was doing something out of my comfort zone.” – 7/28/09

“At times it is obvious I am no longer in the United States, but other times there are small reminders of home; the Colgate advertisement, a tolls road to get to Cotonou, and large houses.” – 7/29/09

“I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and very out of my comfort zone. I suppose this is what they meant by culture shock. I have to just remember to take it one day at a time and not get anxious that I am not doing everything at once.” –7/29/09

“I saw a Voodoo phantom today, which was very interesting. It apparently guards the night, and during the day it is OK for me to see it, but at night it is very dangerous. The phantom becomes violent if it sees a woman at night.” – 7/30/09

“I taught my siblings how to play volleyball today. It is so cool that even with a language barrier I can teach them something.” – 7/30/09

No comments:

Post a Comment