Monday, August 3, 2009

My Benin Family

On Wednesday I met my host family. I was a bit frazzled before I met them. I had been on a crowded bus with the other PCVTs (Peace Corps Volunteer Trainees) for an hour, and I had the hump seat—you know the seat on the big school busses with that hump for the wheel. Additionally I needed to use the bathroom, but the line was too long. My Mama found me first. She gave me a hug and then took my hand and guided me to our seats. Although having my hand held reminded me of being a child again, it was a great comfort. I knew my Mama would not let anything happen to me.

Once at our seats I met my brothers, Romeo and Coffrey. Romeo, 19, attends a university in Burkina Faso, and spoke some English, which was quite helpful the first night. Coffrey, 10, pretended to be shy, but I could tell he was quite excited to finally meet me. Through some slight difficulty I found out that my family had a stagaire last year (we are called stagaires).

When we arrived home I met my sister, Rosaline, who is 21, and attends a university in Benin. She is studying to be a medical assistant. I than sat with my Mama and showed her pictures of my family. When I showed her my Mama and Papa, she kissed my Mama’s face. Such a simple act, but it filled me with love; I know my Mama is glad I am here and I know she understands motherhood. She is very close with all her children. She also showed me photos of other family members. Even though my French is very broken at times, my Mama understands for the most part what I am trying to communicate. I am not sure how many silly mistakes I have made. One I made for sure is accidently telling my sister that I had a child. I quickly amended that error.

As I wandered into my room I think things started to set in. I have enjoyed most of the moments though. I hope to never forget that first night; trying to understand how to eat my food, trying to figure out how to put together my water filter (which turned into a family project that I greatly enjoyed). I feel like I am never alone, even on that first night when my family was but strangers.

1 comment: