Monday, August 3, 2009

Oodles of Foodles

Last night I had my first food dream. I was outside my house with a group of PCVTs (Peace Corps Volunteer Trainees), when Brandon came running up with a special treat from Lucie, the director of PSL (Pre-Service Learning). The treat: a box of cinnamon rolls, sort of like the dollar ones you would buy at a conivience store in the United States. I don’t even really typically like that kind of cinnamon roll, but in my dream they tasted so delicious. I am not sure if I have ever experienced taste in a dream before, but sure enough I did. There was a problem though. I enjoyed them so much that I stuffed more than I could fit in my mouth and felt like I was going to choke. I gave some to my Mama and she also enjoyed it very much, although she made a face at how sweet it tasted.

I don’t think this dream is a symptom of not eating enough. I have been eating quite well and way more healthy than I was in the States. Other PCVTs complain about not getting enough protein, but for me the decrease in meat intake is not different. Actually there are a number of foods I have really enjoyed. For example, there is a company called FanMilk and they sell different frozen treats. I have only tried the Vanille Lait, and it tasted like the perfect combination of cool whip and gelati custard. On Friday my Mama made fritas, or French fries. They were the best French fries I have ever had. They eat a tremendous amount of breaded items here. I never thought it would be possible, but I have actually had to turn down eating bread. Shocking, considering I became a bread monster at places like Olive Garden, Bertucchis, and Carabas; all of which offer free bread.

I have also started to help cook meals. My family seemed shocked that I wanted to help, but I explained I liked cooking. Yesterday my Mama took this opportunity to also teach me some French words, such as oignon (onion), ail (garlic), poivre (pepper), and sel (salt). Plus cooking with them has proved to be some of the best moments with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment