Monday, September 14, 2009

Education – Part II: Favorite Moments in Model School

What I am doing exactly in Benin, I think remains a mystery to even my father at times. For the last two months I have been training. For the last four weeks that training has included teaching for the kids of Porto-Novo. Model School as it is called conjures up a culmination of emotions that can appear, disappear, and re-appear at any given moment. What I have accumulated here is a plethora of moments I have experienced, and have heard from others.



Story 1: “I had to put a kid in the corner today,” I overhear Brandon saying. I can’t recall the reason why—most likely for talking. The kid was facing the board, and during this time he ate a piece of chalk. The chalk was blue. It was all over his face when it was done.



Story 2: Lemeec. Everyone’s favorite student, one volunteer put it best: “Try not to look disappointed when Lemeec is the only person who is raising his hand yet again.”



Story 3: Students are told to write sentences about why education is important. The sentences, of course need to be written in English. The students take it upon themselves to look up words. Sentences given at the end of the exercise: “Education can help you get a job and have good prospects,” and “If I have an education, tomorrow I can be president.”



Story 4: I had to introduce a new section on the world. Part of this included teaching nationalities. I asked my students, “Am I African?” They shout “No!” I ask, if they are sure. I also brought in my childhood teddy bear as a prop. The students correctly identify her nationality: “She is American.” They learn how to sing, “It’s a Small World After All.” They loose track of time, and don’t want class to end.



Story 5: When I lesson plan, I write in the instruction: “If they stare at you blankly,” followed by what I will do to get them to understand.



Story 6: A trainee throws back to the 1950s—he makes a student bang erasers together for fifteen minutes.



Story 7: Favorite Quote: “Do you send parcels into space?” Answer: “No. You send satellites into space.”

1 comment:

  1. Is story 6 referring to Clay? Cuz for some reason when i read that my mind immediately envisioned him doing that, lol.
    I miss you guys! I can't believe swearing in is so soon!!! Congratulations, I'm so proud of all of you!

    ReplyDelete